From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
Cc: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tightly-coupled core distro [was: Council meeting summary for 3 April 2012]
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 08:08:44
1 On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 02:54:38AM -0500, Richard Yao wrote:
2 > On 05/09/2012 06:36 PM, Greg KH wrote:
3 > > On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 08:51:37PM +0200, Fabio Erculiani wrote:
4 > >> I foresee a new udev fork then.
5 > >
6 > > Please feel free to do so, the code has been open since the first day I
7 > > created it.
8 > >
9 > > Remember, forks are good, there's nothing wrong with them, I strongly
10 > > encourage people to do them if they wish to, it benefits everyone
11 > > involved.
12 > >
13 > >> If udev is going to end up like avahi is, this is *highly* probable.
14 > >
15 > > That's an odd transition...
16 > >
17 > >> With "avahi is ..." I actually mean, one single tarball blob depending
18 > >> on the whole world and its solar system and galaxy.
19 > >
20 > > Hyperbole, how nice :(
21 > >
22 > >> Please stop throwing lennartware at people. FailAudio has been enough, thanks.
23 > >
24 > > The use of these terms is both rude and totally uncalled for. You
25 > > should be ashamed of yourself.
26 > >
27 > > Seriously, that's unacceptable behavior from anyone.
28 > >
29 > > No one forces you to use any of this software if you do not want to.
30 > > There are lots of other operating systems out there, feel free to switch
31 > > to them if you do not like the way this one is working out, no one is
32 > > stopping you. But for you to disparage someone who has given immense
33 > > bodies of work to the community, and you, for free, is horrible behavior
34 > > and needs to stop right now.
35 > >
36 > > greg k-h
39 > Greg, would you clarify what you meant by this?
40
41 Meant by what part of the above response? Written 6 months ago?
42
43 > Your recent comments suggest to me that you did not mean what I thought
44 > you meant.
45
46 What did you think I meant about what?
47
48 Again, I have no objection to people forking projects, it's great, and
49 fun to watch happen. Fork away on your own site, with whom ever you
50 want to.
51
52 But if this fork is now the "official Gentoo fork", owned by the Gentoo
53 Foundation, and it's the way forward that Gentoo the distro is going to
54 take with regards to how the boot process works on the system, then I
55 have something to say about it, as it affects me, a Gentoo developer.
56
57 And that is how this thread started, I wanted to know what was the
58 resolution of the council meeting with the very unclear and vague
59 meeting minutes. I have yet to get that answer, which is troubling.
60
61 thanks,
62
63 greg k-h