From: Tobias Scherbaum <dertobi123@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Is Gentoo dying?
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 09:16:48
Hell no, but ...

We have lots of quite understaffed areas, to sum up in a positive way.
Summing it up the negative way one might say, we have lots of areas were
users might get the idea Gentoo already is dead.

For example:
- hardened-sources are nowadays only available in an experimental
overlay, lots of users keep asking what's happening to the
hardened-sources on both the -dev but also the -hardened mailinglist.
Yeah, we do have people working on hardened stuff, but if people just
take what's happening in the portage tree they might think that the
hardened stuff they're relying on for their business isn't supported any
longer.

- Our formerly outstanding documentation still is somewhat maintained,
but that's it. I haven't seen any new additions (both to our docs, but
also to our docs-team) for years. People are constantly asking for a
documentation wiki, but ...

- Infra: One might get the idea our Infra team is just Robin (yeah, sure
there are more people, but ....) ... things are happening slowly (no
offend - I fully understand that those few can't dedicate more of their
spare time to infra work!), take overlays.g.o migration, Bugzie-3
migration and so on as an example.

- Understaffed herds: For example net-mail, netmon and others - were
missing lots of developers and their support in lots of areas. Sadly
those areas are mostly those ones, one might need packages for their
business servers from.

- Website redesign - we had a contest some years ago, got a winner,
someone started to adapt the design and somewhat that project fall
asleep.

- Speaking of our website, PR ... guess there's nothing more to add.

So - what to do now? To be honest - I have no real clue. But a first
step might be to collect your opinions on where we do lack manpower and
ideas on how to solve this problems. A Wiki might be fitting well for
that task *cough*. A next step might be to discuss every identified
problem and discuss our options and ideas how to improve the situation.

- Tobias

--
Praxisbuch Nagios
http://www.oreilly.de/catalog/pbnagiosger/