From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposing fundamental changes to DevRel
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 20:30:16
Petteri,

On 06/17/10 17:45, Petteri Räty wrote:
> We communicate in English but that doesn't mean we all the same cultural > background. My native language doesn't do small talk and doesn't have a > word for please. Of course when writing English I try use please when > required by the other party but sugar coating wouldn't have changed what > I wanted to communicate with my message.
the point of this thread is not the introduction of "sugar coating" (pretending to be nice in my words) as you call it. To me it's about turning Gentoo into a friendly and helpful community. (So it's actually not just about tone but the things coming before the tone, too.)
> It would just increase the time > needed to write the message and raise the risk of getting misunderstood. > A short and to the point message is the easiest to understand.
Yes, being friendly may take more words. Isn't it in your own best interest to have the other side not get pissed? Isn't that worth a few more words? Best, Sebastian