From: Vano D <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge with interacitve use
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 00:36:33
1 On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 01:31, Panard wrote:
2 > Ok, I've apply theses changes (I join the emerge-interactive file) :
3 >
4 > -> there is a /var/db/pkg/CATEG/PKG/USECUSTOM :
5 > ask to use this file y or n :
6 > y : we load the values of the file
7 > n : we ask for the new values, when, (re-)create
8 > /var/db/pkg/CATEG/PKG/USECUSTOM
9 > -> no file we do exactly like if the user answer n to the previous question
13 > Please test this script (I made some merge and it was working)
14
15 Fantastic !!! It works just as advertised :) well done !
16
17 Maybe you should put this in a bug report so the maintaners notice it
18 and get motivated to incorporate the changes into Portage. You can also
19 supply them the diff, I think it would be easier for them but maybe some
20 portage people around would know better than me.
21
22 The only comment I can think of is that I would name this feature more
23 like "per package (interactive) USE management" or something rather than
24 just plain (-I) interactive. It has passed way beyond just interactivity
25 for me :)
26
27 BTW I don't know if you included any commandline options like
28 "--usecustom" so it won't ask and use the USECUSTOM file all the time.
29 This is good for when doing emerge -Up world or for scalability.
30
31 Great great stuff !!!
32
33 PD. There is just one bug I found when I do something like "emerge -Ip
34 package" and set the flags it actually updates the USEFLAG file. Maybe
35 you should tell it not to do anything when the user chooses --pretend.
36 Also looks like you create the USECUSTOM file before the rest of portage
37 starts donwloading/compiling/merging. Maybe you should also create the
38 USECUSTOM flag right at the same moment when the rest of the /var/db
39 files are created. This well keep consistency.
40
41 Just to give you an example I ran emerge-interactive -Ip balsa and set
42 the use flags, and now portage thinks I have it installed:
43
44 [ebuild R ] net-mail/balsa-2.0.9-r1
45
46 That is because there is a "/var/db/pkg/net-mail/balsa-2.0.9-r1" with
47 only USECUSTOM inside it.
48
49 Anyhow GREAT job !
50