From: Mikael Andersson <snikkt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is there a process for marking ebuilds stable?
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 14:28:28
On Monday 14 April 2003 11.04, Fredrik Jagenheim wrote:
> > However, a successful emerge is only one of the critieria for an > unstable package to move to stable. It not crashing runtime is > another... > > Actually, the more I think of it, the whole point is moot... > stable.gentoo.org might be a good idea, but why not replace it with > stats.gentoo.org? If I submit a stat report which tells me that I have > the latest version of a package installed, you could assume that it > works for me. If not, I'd post a bugreport. And if I couldn't be arsed > to set up gentoo-stats and post bugs about things that doesn't work, > why would I use stable.gentoo.org anyway? >
I don't think stable.gentoo.org is not a good solution since it's too much manual work included from a user for (apparently nothing) in return. I think the most efficient way to mark packages stable is statistics based. If you compare number of installations of a package against number of bugs filed and their severity i think you should get pretty decent stability figures for most packages. The exception to this is packages with few users but the users of such packages is probably more interested in 'voting' for their packages. This is only an initial suggestion, please comment and improve :) 1) Successful Emerges/Bugs a) Count package downloads and bugs filed. If no blocker/critical bugs exists after a week or two mark as stable. For important packages this rule could be made more stringent. b) Count real merges/unmerges of packages and not only package downloads, this should to opt-in since it would in some way need to post information back to gentoo.org 2) Voting console A console application which finds all stable packages installed more than a week or two ago and asks you to determine how much you've used them. As default it only needs to show packages with few users since simple statistics should be enough to validate packages with many users. At the end of the emerge remind a user of 'unpopular' packages to run the voting console to mark as stable.
/Mikael Andersson -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list