From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] Proposal of Change to the Gentoo User Relations Project
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 23:06:40
On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 22:51:51 +0000 George Prowse
<cokehabit2003@××××××××.uk> wrote:
| If they dont go on them how do they know they dont like them? We know
| that quite a few developers do. We need more to show that devs aren't
| these "unapproachable" creatures. Why do you need to search through
| them, just to go "Portage and Programming" and see if you can help...

You're assuming that developers don't go at all. I'd be strongly
inclined to believe that many developers have gone by the forums, at
least briefly, and found reasons not to stay.

But then, with an attitude that "the forums are perfect and anyone who
says otherwise is out to get us", how will anyone ever find out?

| Do you think that your attitude towards the forums, developers,
| projects, users and unofficial Gentoo projects helps as well?
| Remember, I am not a developer but I can see, read and hear and from
| a users POV your tact leaves a lot to be desired. Instead of
| rubbishing the forums you could have suggested the improvements in
| your first email in the manner that you eventually did and we
| wouldn't have any of this now, instead you seem intent on turning it
| into another "webapp-config"

Instead of immediately assuming that I am out to get everyone, you
could have asked for clarification on points where you're unclear. Take
a look at the "QA Roles v2" thread on -dev for how things *should* work
-- when someone is unsure or doesn't see a point, they ask for an
explanation. That way any questions get answered quickly, without huge
amounts of space being wasted on things that everyone already knows.

The way threads degenerate is when people start leaping to conclusions
and making wild accusations based upon small amounts of material that
they are misinterpreting. Or, occasionally, when someone starts posting
eight page explanations of things everyone already knows...

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Wearer of the shiny hat)
Mail            : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web             : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm