From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] GNAP status
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 02:29:33
1 01flipstar@×××.de wrote:
2 > wireless schrieb:
3 >> Natanael Copa wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>> I remember some discussion on GNAP and the fact that some were
6 >>>> working on updating it. Does any know the current status
7 >>>> of the efforts to update GNAP and when possible it might
8 >>>> be suitable (updated) for use on i586 (K6) based hardware?
9 >>
10 >>> You could also have a look at alpine linux, a gentoo based distro aimed
11 >>> for older PC's.
12 >>
13 >> Alpine does look interesting, but, it looks more like a Debian
14 >> derivative:
15 >>
16 >> http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/w/index.php?title=Installing_Alpine#Managing_software_packages
20 >> Any other gentoo derivatives out there, aimed at older hardware?
21 >
22 > Hey,
23 >
24 > why not simply role your own?
25 > I'm running a KVM (qemu) System with all the optimization supported by
26 > my old like (eeepc) hardware.
27 >
28 > - create all the tbz2 you need (on the KVM or real host)
29 > - run genpkgindex
30 > - copy all the files to your webserver
31 > - create a squashfs from your portage tree (<40Mb)
32 > - boot your old system from cd or usb and extract a stage3 file
33 > - edit the make.conf and make sure to define PORTAGE_BINHOST
34 > - define an INSTALL_MASK if you like
35 > - delete all files in /usr/portage and mount the squashfs porttree
36 > - finally emerge all the stuff you need (emerge -G bla)
37 >
38 > If you are interested in more details Ill write a howto in the next few
39 > weeks.
40 >
41 > --
42 > flip
45 Well, I usually like to stay closer to a tree that being maintained.
46
47 Let me think about it some, and I'll let you know if I going to go
48 this route. Time is something on short supply for me, at this time.
51 THX,
52 James
57 gentoo-embedded@l.g.o mailing list