From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-genkernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-genkernel] Re: genkernel required apps versioning
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 21:43:17
1 Hello Peter,
4 On 08/12/2012 10:30 PM, Peter Hjalmarsson wrote:
5 > Two concerns.
6
7 thanks for sharing.
10 > I like your approuch, but:
11 > 1. Safety. source software.sh directly from the file(s) that sources
12 > genkernel.conf
13 >
14 > This way people do not have to come to us to find out what broke when
15 > they accidentally removed a line from genkernel.conf. Will even
16 > genkernel work without a genkernel.conf with that commit? Yes, it did
17 > not before but that is not a reason to not do this right now when we fix
18 > it.;)
19
20 I'm not sure if that change is possible:
21
22 GK_SHARE is defined in genkernel.conf:
23
24 GK_SHARE="${GK_SHARE:-/usr/share/genkernel}"
25
26 So to source ${GK_SHARE}/defaults/software.sh we first need to know,
27 what ${GK_SHARE} is. If we source genkernel.conf and software.sh after
28 (to address that issue) we lose the ability to override things like the
29 busybox version from genkernel.conf. To workaround it we could source
30 genkernel.conf twice, before and after software.sh but that probably not
31 without new trouble, either.
34 > 2. Documentation. Leave a comment in genkernel.conf that all those
35 > things have been moved, and but still can be overridden from there IF
36 > needed.
37
38 Done:
39 http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/genkernel.git;a=commitdiff;h=35efd0619ef2a849b93884eb63041db3d428be7f