From: Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] RFC: Default src_compile for java-pkg-2.eclass
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 15:05:07
1 Vlastimil Babka wrote:
2 > I wonder if ebuild using those variables would be more typing than
3 > ebuild with own src_compile() :) but not a bad idea anyway.
6 The idea is that you don't end up repeating the same code snippet over
7 and over. Instead, you use some variables to configure what targets get
8 called. This helps with maintainence, as if we change src_compile, you
9 don't have to update it in a trillion places. For example, eant dies by
10 itself on error, but a lot of places do eant || die. If we had a default
11 src_compile, you'd have to fix it in exactly one place.
12 > Yeah check is needed, otherwise you'll be trying to compile current -bin
13 > packages without src_compile() in ebuild...
14 > Not sure if any ebuild would use the variable, but why not...
15 >
16 The answer to 'why not' would be added complexity. But some packages
17 would use it, ie, I know some packages have build files at, for example
18 'build/build.xml'.
21 Joshua Nichols
22 Gentoo/Java - Project Lead
25 gentoo-java@g.o mailing list