From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Cc: releng@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-mips] Reducing the number of the MIPS supported stages
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 14:07:43
1 Hi all,
2
3 Right now the number of stages for each endianness is 8:
4
5 - mips1
6 - mips32
7 - mips32r2
8 - mips3
9 - mips4
10 - mips4_r10
11 - mips64
12 - mips64r2
13
14 ==> 16 stages in total.
15
16 This takes quite a bit of time for all stages to be built (by the time
17 everything is built, we are one month passed the time the snapshot was
18 taken). How about stop building stages for mips1, mips3 and mips4? We
19 keep the existing stages on the mirrors but we will no longer update
20 them (or maybe we do on per user or per case basis). I understand there
21 is hardware for these ISAs but how often do people actually use the new
22 stages?
23
24 Just to be clear, I am not suggesting for the team to stop supporting
25 these ISAs but to stop building new stages and let the users of such
26 ISAs, grab an old stage3 and do the update themselves if needed.
27
28 This will free up some hardware resources for building different stages
29 for the newer ISAs (maybe more non-multilib n32 and n64 variants etc)
30
31 What does everyone think?
32
33 (CC'ing releng just to keep them in the loop)
36 Regards,
37 Markos Chandras