From: Brad Cowan <bcowan@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Thoughts on upcoming trustee elections
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:03:53
On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 10:15 -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:

> Ideally, I'd like to have trustee elections finished by 16 May. Of > course, that means we need to decide how to handle the elections. > Here's a proposal: > > 1. Trustee wannabees need to e-mail -nfp with a statement to that > effect. Any eligible foundation member may run for a trustee > position. The deadline for announcing candidacy is one week prior > to the beginning of voting. > 2. A ballot containing the names of all candidates will be assembled > which essentially just has a check box for each name. > 3. Voting will last for one week. > 4. All candidates who reach or surpass a threshold of 50% yes votes > are thereby elected as trustees. > 5. In the case that fewer than four trustees are elected outright (I believe > that by NM law there needs to be a president, a secretary, a > treasurer, and possibly something else?), then the top four vote > recipients are elected as trustees. > > Notice that I didn't say that it was necessarily a good proposal. I'd > like to avoid needing an initial vote on how many trustees are needed, > so this proposal deliberately leaves the number of trustees that one > wants to vote for up to the individual members. The threshold of 50% > was picked entirely at random. Better ideas cheerfully accepted!
This seems reasonable to me, but I have a few small questions. Has the number of trustees been decided? ie...are we sticking with the current number or possibly less? Also, what about having say 2 year terms with elections held every year, essentially splitting up the trustees so that there's no possibility that all be voted out at once? This would allow a continuous "voice" of the board. Thanks, -- Brad Cowan <bcowan@g.o> Developer, Gentoo Linux http://www.gentoo.org/~bcowan Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB1F16A56 Key fingerprint = C408 75B9 E68D 26E2 EAAE 20CF 4D5E 293D B1F1 6A56