From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Trademark License (name/logo usage)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 11:08:38
1 On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 12:31:40PM +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > Some thoughts:
3 >
4 > - The text switches between the terms "license" and "license
5 > agreement", obviously considering them as synonyms. While both terms
6 > are not very well defined, "license agreements" [1] or EULAs are
7 > often used to restrict the rights granted to users by law. However,
8 > in our case the purpose is to have a license [2] that in some cases
9 > allows usage of the (otherwise restricted) trademark.
10 >
11 > So, could the term "license" be used throughout? Especially in the
12 > page title and main heading?
13
14 Certainly.
15
16 > - The first section heading is redundant (as it repeats the main
17 > heading). Maybe change it to "Preamble" or "Preliminaries"?
18
19 Good idea.
20
21 > - In section "Gentoo-related software projects", how is the term
22 > "official Gentoo project software" defined?
23
24 Ok, I'll see if I can find a proper definition for this. Something along the
25 lines of "Official Gentoo project software is software whose main homepage
26 is hosted on the gentoo.org domain" or so?
27
28 > - In the same section, it says "distributed under the terms of an
29 > OSI-approved open source license". So if I distribute my project
30 > under GPL for the code and CC-BY-SA for the documentation, then I
31 > cannot use the trademark, because CC-BY-SA is not in the OSI's list?
32 >
33 > I suggest to change the phrase to "distributed under a free license
34 > approved by the Free Software Foundation or the Open Source
35 > Initiative".
36 [... followup post ...]
37 > Make this "free and open-source software distributed under a license
38 > approved by the Free Software Foundation or the Open Source Initiative",
39 > in order to avoid the loophole of binary-only distributed under BSD.
40
41 Ok. I took OSI from our social contract, but I agree with your suggestion.
42
43 That being said, your mention of the documentation does make me think that
44 the license is quite service/software oriented. I'll do a read-up through it
45 and see how documentation falls into it.
46
47 > - Section "Products and services serving the community" says: "The
48 > website or product does not use the official Gentoo logo or color
49 > palette in its design, except as provided for by earlier sections in
50 > this license". The only relevant mention of the logo in such earlier
51 > sections seems to be in "Groups and Events" which has rather
52 > restrictive requirements (e.g., on the name of the group).
53
54 I think the other sections are also relevant. Some services that "serve the
55 community" can still use the Gentoo logo as per "Service Identification"
56 section, for instance.
57
58 > So I wonder if that covers logo usage by the German Gentoo e.V. [3]?
59 > What about sites like znurt.org [4]?
60
61 Strictly speaking, Gentoo e.V. still falls under the previous name/logo
62 usage guidelines. That being said, I do think their usage still falls under
63 the principles of this license as well:
64
65 - The image they use adds in the "Förderverein Gentoo e.V." words (which
66 denotes the audience imo)
67 - There are no implications that it is official (Förderverein = "friends
68 of")
69
70 The znurt.org site doesn't even match the current name/logo usage
71 guidelines. It should at least mention that it isn't an official site.
72 Following the document, I would also suggest to make the logo a link to the
73 main gentoo site.
74
75 > - The current usage guidelines mention the Gentoo file manager
76 > (app-misc/gentoo) as an exception. This has been dropped in the new
77 > draft. Is the intention to restrict them in using the Gentoo name?
78 > AFAICS, their usage goes back to 1998 and therefore predates ours.
79
80 Definitely not the intention. I'll add it in again.
81
82 Do you think the license is an improvement versus the current one (about
83 making things more clear)?
84
85 One of the things Django does is to add in a FAQ link (something we'll
86 probably do as well), which I think will help as we can then document all
87 additional questions we had regarding the license.
88
89 Anyway, thanks a lot for the feedback, much appreciated (really).
90
91 Wkr,
92 Sven Vermeulen