From: Kito <kito@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Documentation Update
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:51:10
On Aug 10, 2005, at 12:42 AM, Grobian wrote:

> Two small things that I don't know for sure: > > | Warning: Using any shell besides bash is currenly unsupported and > most > | likely won't work. You should change your default shell in > Terminal by > | clicking on Terminal->Preferences (in the menu bar), chosing the > | "Execute this command" option, and entering /bin/bash. > > How likely is this? Of course I ignored this warning when > installing my Gentoo, because I feel hopelessly lost in bash. On > the one hand, is it known what causes trouble? and on the other > hand, considering the default shell is bash from 10.3 (at least > 10.4) also for the root account, and everything is done using "sudo > su", how likely is it the user will use a different shell for the > root user than the system provided one? On top of this, whenever > the whole emerge system is getting into action a bash shell is > forked from python I think, so what relevance is the parent shell > to that?
Yeah, I've always used zsh myself, with no problems to speak of.
> >> Please note that there's probably a good deal more documentation >> work to be done, but I feel that it's probably smarter to get the >> updates published in stages rather than all at once. At the very >> least, it allows for better QA analysis of each revision. >> Kito: I apologize in advance if I butchered the description of the >> progressive profile. Please feel free to slap me with a very >> large, very freshly-dead herring, and submit corrections as >> necessary.
Attached is a rough description of the progressive profile. I would suggest getting rid of the section telling users to keyword ebuilds directly, and instead point them to the /etc/portage/* files. As more of the base-system packages get the ~ppc-macos keyword for the progressive profile, I suspect users will be confused when they see an ebuild with the ~ppc-macos keyword but still being unable to emerge as a result of it being masked for file collisions on the standard profiles. We should probably also mention the fact that the installer has the bug of portage not knowing its installed, so probably just tell them to `FEATURES="-collision-protect" sudo emerge --nodeps portage` to avoid the endless dup bugs being filed and the same question being asked in #-osx. Thanks for doing this much-needed update!

progressive.txt text/plain