From: dol-sen@×××××.net
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [SoC] Idea for emerge
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 02:54:42
1 Quoting Simon Lipp <simon.lipp@×××××××××.fr>:
2
3 > > and I'd assume users might get rather confused to answer questions
4 > > that are then thrown away later.
5 > I don't unterstand what do you mean by that...
6 >
7 > > Another (relatively minor) problem
8 > > is that the flags set in such a session would have to be made
9 > > persistent somehow, and I wouldn't want emerge to mess
10 > > with /etc/portage/package.* files
11 > Why ? it's just doing something the user will normally do....
12 >
13 > > As for listing USE flag descriptions, there are already
14 > > patches floating around for that (at least TGL wrote one a while
15 > > ago), and even if not it would be hardly worth a complete SoC project
16 > > by itself.
17 > My idea was to integrate this with emerge, and this seemed something
18 > not very easy. But I totally agree that it's very easy (too for the SoC)
19 > to make an external tool to do that. So, since you think that emerge is
20 > not a place for that, I'll search for a new idea for the SoC and try to
21 > make this simple tool next week ;)
22 >
23 > Regards
24 > --
27 Take a look at porthole's cvs trunk branch. I am nearly finished getting things
28 ready for the next testing & release. It should work ok, still some bugs to
29 work out, some code to finish. I have extended the dependency view for a
30 package with a lot more info. I have also set it to follow the dependencies
31 deeper (which already include use flags, both used and not used). A new feature
32 also makes any dependency clickable to bring up a new window with that package's
33 notebook detail. It also allows you to click it's dependencies for more popups,
34 adjust use flags, keywords, etc.. The cli is great, but gui's are better at
35 showing large groups of info like variable dependency graphs so you can get it
36 right before you start the emerge.
37
38 P.S. If your looking for something to do, I can always use a hand :) especially
39 on the portage/pkgcore interface side.
40
41 The cvs is not yet installable, but works from the directory it is checked out
42 to. Make sure you have the dependencies installed. From a terminal, cd into
43 the directory, "./porthole -l -d ALL"
49 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list