From: matt hull <mattmatteh@×××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Mac Mini PPC - Is this the right list?
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:06:23
1 On Apr 16, 2008, at 6:19 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 3:59 PM, matt hull <mattmatteh@×××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> apple kernel ? that would be darwin. i think you mean linux
6 >> kernel ?
7 >
8 > Well, yes, it's a Linux kernel but named 'apple' I think. The
9 > instructions you see when you boot from the Gentoo 2007.0 universal
10 > install CD say to execute essentially one of these two commands:
11 >
12 > boot: apple
13 >
14 > or
15 >
16 > boot: apple video=ofonly
17 >
18 > when I boot without ofonly I get messed up text.
19 >
20 > I've got OpenFirmware frame buffer, nvidia and ATI compiled in. EDID
21 > also. The machine is acting like it's just not choosing them, assuming
22 > the problem I'm seeing is the same one I see booting the kernel on the
23 > install CD. How does one make the kernel choose or not choose the FB
24 > at boot time? I'm familiar with doing this stuff in grub but this is
25 > my first experience with yaboot.
26 >
27 > My kernel is 2.6.24-gentoo-r3. It boots fine and the machine is
28 > working great at least from an ssh session where I'm not looking at
29 > this frame buffer stuff. that's fine for the next day or two as I let
30 > it build stuff I might want to run on it.
31 >
32 > Note that if it matters I had to use the 2007.0 CD since the current
33 > ISO image for the 2008.0 beta is too large to fit on a 700MB CD-R, at
34 > least according to K3b. I don't have any larger CD-Rs available right
35 > now.
36 >
37 > The processor in this machine is a 7447A, clock-1.5GHz. lspci says
38 > it's a RV280 [Radeon 9200] graphics chip
39
40 if you have radeon why do you have nvidiafb comiled in ?
41
42 boot with these 3 combinations: ofonly, radeonfb, {none} then for
43 each, cat /proc/fb and cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/name. if the
44 screen is un readable, then ssh in and find out.
45
46 also, i assume you are using dvvi with that mac mini. i think those
47 have only dvi ?
48
49 the large cd that is 700+ MB has all the packages on it i think. i
50 always use the smallest one and just download the packages. ( i have
51 a package cache on my file server so its fast)
52
53 i dont use k3b, cdrecord. if the cd were bad or wrong, you would not
54 get this far :)
55
56 matt
57 --