From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: "axs@g.o" <axs@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-03-11
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 21:49:03
1 On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 3:13 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Dnia 2014-03-03, o godz. 15:05:12
3 > Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> napisał(a):
4 >
6 >> Hash: SHA256
7 >>
8 >> On 03/03/14 02:43 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
9 >> > Dnia 2014-03-03, o godz. 12:14:13 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
10 >> > napisał(a):
11 >> >
12 >> >> Can we clarify that the ban includes updating the EAPI in
13 >> >> existing ebuilds?
14 >> >
15 >> > So how we are supposed to handle updating rev-deps to use proper
16 >> > slot? Convert ancient versions to a new EAPI or just drop them
17 >> > completely?
18 >> >
19 >>
20 >> That's up to you, as maintainer, isn't it?
21 >
22 > If I am fixing a few dozen ebuilds due to change in dependency package,
23 > I'm not the maintainer.
24
25 I think we do need to be careful about not creating barriers to
26 maintenance like this. If people are given the choice of doing a lot
27 of work to make a small improvement vs not doing an improvement at
28 all, they'll often pick the latter.
29
30 We definitely want to phase out the old EAPIs, but changes to existing
31 ebuilds shouldn't require bringing them fully up-to-date. It should
32 be done if it makes sense, however (at the discretion of the person
33 doing the work).
34
35 Rich