From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-04-09
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 10:42:00
1 On 7 April 2013 18:13, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On 7 April 2013 08:27, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 > > On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 20:05:11 -0600
6 > > Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
7 > >> In short:
8 > >> Toolchain packages, for better or worse, are built by eclass. We are
9 > >> not forward-porting toolchain.eclass every time someone decides there
10 > >> are too many EAPIs in the tree. Every change to that eclass breaks
11 > >> something (the trick is to break things people don't care about any
12 > >> more and hope no one notices). I don't know the ins and outs of
13 > >> glibc's eblits but I doubt they would be simple to port either. I
14 > >> also don't know much about toolchain-binutils.eclass, but it seems
15 > >> like it would be doable.
16 > >
17 > > Sounds like a good opportunity to replace toolchain.eclass with
18 > > something clean and understandable.
19 > >
20 > > --
21 > > Ciaran McCreesh
22 >
23 > I see no reason to break something that works just fine as it is.
26 Except it doesn't work just fine if it is so fragile as to break at the
27 smallest change (e.g. EAPI bump)...
30 Cheers,
31
32 Ben | yngwin
33 Gentoo developer
34 Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin