From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-04-09
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 10:52:16
1 On 7 April 2013 11:41, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 7 April 2013 18:13, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 7 April 2013 08:27, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
5 >> wrote:
6 >> > On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 20:05:11 -0600
7 >> > Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
8 >> >> In short:
9 >> >> Toolchain packages, for better or worse, are built by eclass. We are
10 >> >> not forward-porting toolchain.eclass every time someone decides there
11 >> >> are too many EAPIs in the tree. Every change to that eclass breaks
12 >> >> something (the trick is to break things people don't care about any
13 >> >> more and hope no one notices). I don't know the ins and outs of
14 >> >> glibc's eblits but I doubt they would be simple to port either. I
15 >> >> also don't know much about toolchain-binutils.eclass, but it seems
16 >> >> like it would be doable.
17 >> >
18 >> > Sounds like a good opportunity to replace toolchain.eclass with
19 >> > something clean and understandable.
20 >> >
21 >> > --
22 >> > Ciaran McCreesh
23 >>
24 >> I see no reason to break something that works just fine as it is.
27 > Except it doesn't work just fine if it is so fragile as to break at the
28 > smallest change (e.g. EAPI bump)...
31 Errr so you are just repeating what I said? It works fine as it is, it
32 breaks with other EAPIs so just leave it as it is.
35 Regards,
36 Markos Chandras - Gentoo Linux Developer
37 http://dev.gentoo.org/~hwoarang