From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: eva@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Agenda for Gentoo Council meeting on 2014-02-25
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 18:11:36
1 On T, 2014-02-25 at 11:12 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
3 > > We acknowledge that our policy may not have been perfect but we need
4 > > time to analyze claims brought up by/to the QA team to construct a
5 > > proper proposal for a better policy that would satisfy everyone;
6 > > hopefully in co-operation with a QA team.
7 >
8 > Is there any reason to think that this analysis will come to a
9 > different conclusion?
10
11 Here is a reply from my team member Gilles Dartiguelongue (eva), who
12 couldn't convince gmane to successfully reach here yet to be properly
13 threaded:
16 No, but there is no evidence it will not come to a different conclusion
17 either.
18
19 For what concerns me:
20 * I feel QA team did not present the problem in a formal way that is
21 adequate to assess whether the decision fits the problem in question.
22 * It did not provide an explanation of what cases exactly where not
23 satisfied by current policy besides some fuzzy "it does not satisfy
24 users", which is a valid starting point but not enough to carry on.
25 * It did not provide a clearly written policy with the new list of
26 covered cases and eventually some examples to help everyone understand
27 it.
28
29 The few threads the spawned from the QA announcement of the new policy
30 clearly shows that not everyone has a clearer view of what are the exact
31 implications for the tree and that is imho enough to withhold the policy
32 from being applied.
33
34 Also, it seems to me like other gtk based DE got left out of the
35 discussion.
36
37 We wrote this policy in the first place so that everyone can understand
38 why we do things this way and we do not want anyone to mess with it
39 without due explanation and justifications because in the end, we will
40 be the ones (with other gtk based DE) maintaining this mess in tree.
41
42 In the end, we may reach the same conclusion QA team already stated, but
43 we hope to have solid explanations and use cases to explain why it will
44 be this way for the good of the tree.