From: Guy Martin <gmsoft@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] x86 and ppc stages built
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:31:41
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 15:39:48 -0700
Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o> wrote:

> This change was not officially on our roadmap, but yep, it should > start happening with Gentoo 2004 provided that a trimmed > /etc/make.conf will work for our arch leads. I think it's a great way > to reduce clutter, and with the info in the Handbook I don't see any > real negatives. >
I do not agree on this point. Think that many users are lazy and will not check handbook is something has changed. For examples, I sometimes have to add or remove advices about CHOST, CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS in make.conf because toolchain or something else is more or less stable than before with some settings. I also like to to have the documentation near what I'm modifying. And it's also great to have the exaustive list of every variables that you can change in this file. Starting your browser and try to find the info you need in the handbook takes really much time if for example you only want to change the temp dir and you don't remember if the correct syntax is PORDIR_TEMP, PORTDIR_TMP or PORTAGE_TMPDIR. Also, it's really easier to uncomment a valid example in make.conf than copy/past if you are reading a printed doc or watch the handbook on another computer for whichever reason. It's also easy for a newbie or an inattentive person to read the doc of another arch in the handbook while the make.conf is arch specific. So please, keep the old make.conf right in place for all this reasons. TIA -- Guy Martin Gentoo Linux - HPPA port Lead / IPv6 team Lug Charleroi (Belgium) -- gentoo-releng@g.o mailing list