From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Call for feature requests for 2008.0 - Universal-CD
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 22:05:41
1 Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Markus Hauschild wrote:
3 >> On Feb 4, 2008 10:47 PM, Peter Weber <peterle@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >>>> The LiveDVD includes stages and a snapshot.
5 >>> Interesting and good, but the LiveDVD is, let us say the truth -
6 >>> overkill.
7 >>>
8 >>> A other good solution would be merging Universal and Minimal-CD
9 >>> togehter, so we offer only a smaller Universal-CD (about 200-400 MB)
10 >>> and
11 >>> a complete LiveCD (about 700 MB).
12 >>
13 >> I'd love a minimal + stage3 + portage-snapshot + stuff you really need
14 >> (kernel sources, grub, maybe a syslogger)
15 >> But I guess I'd have to make that one myself then (and then its not
16 >> worth the effort)
17 >
18 > That doesn't even make sense. A universal CD is nothing but a minimal
19 > plus some stuff. You can't merge them together, unless you're talking
20 > about getting rid of the minimal all together, and then that's even
21 > dumber.
25 I would also like to add that some of us can't download like others. I,
26 for example, am on dial-up and a sucky one at that. I have to order
27 most everything because it would take me a week or longer to download
28 about any CD. I don't even want to think if I had to boot from the 2007
29 CD and install from scratch. Typing in the commands, no problem at
30 all. Waiting to download all the packages, HUGE problem.
31
32 I love options and Gentoo has a lot of them. I would also like to have
33 options available just in case the unthinkable happens. I would most
34 likely install Mandrake, old version that I still have, and then install
35 Gentoo from there.
36
37 Anyone gave this any thought? There are still a LOT of dial-up users
38 out here. People seem to forget that, especially the website with all
39 the huge pages. My Space comes to mind on that.
40
41 Just a thought.
42
43 Dale