From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Release Guidelines
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:43:12
1 On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 13:54 -0400, Jeffrey Forman wrote:
2 > Oh $diety, please let that be how it's done in the future. If I am still
3 > around and haven't lost my mind, this is how it should be done. A clean
4 > handoff from releng -> infra is what is needed so that we arent in any
5 > confusion about who's doing what...
6
7 Absolutely.
8
9 Also, I think we need to impose a policy on updates to things
10 in /releases. Over the past two releases, we've had things that got
11 updated on /releases without doing any sort of renaming of the files. I
12 think this causes bugs and confusion for our users. Instead, we should
13 enact and enforce a policy that no two different files in /releases
14 should ever have the same name. It'll cause a bit more bandwidth usage
15 for the mirrors, as they won't be able to simply rsync differences in
16 the file, but it will also reduce headaches anyone might have.
17
18 Example: stage3-athlon-xp-2005.1.tar.bz2 would become
19 stage3-athlon-xp-2005.1-r1.tar.bz2
20
21 This would also help enforce the releng->infra hand-off, as we would
22 simply give you the new file, and you guys would push it out, along with
23 updating the bouncer. At the same time, we would *require* that any
24 such changes be given to the GDP for them to update their information.
25
26 Now, should infra (well, Jeff) take the point in coordinating changes,
27 as in commits of updates, with the GDP, as it will be determined by the
28 time things are pushed to the mirrors, or should that remain a task for
29 the releng leads?
32 Chris Gianelloni
34 Games - Developer
35 Gentoo Linux