From: Henry Gebhardt <hsggebhardt@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Re: overlay move to git
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 21:23:37
1 On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Justin <justin@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Justin schrieb:
3 >> Henry Gebhardt schrieb:
4 >>> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 9:14 PM, Justin <justin@×××××××××.net> wrote:
5 >>>> Henry Gebhardt schrieb:
6 >>>>> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:53 PM, Justin <justin@×××××××××.net> wrote:
7 >>>>>> Justin schrieb:
8 >>>>> (...)
9 >>>>>> But I hit some bad thing, I am working alot with branches and noted that
10 >>>>>> the .git dir growths and growths, although I removed the branches. Can
11 >>>>>> I clean this up?
12 >>>>> Yes! Collect all the garbage with
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>> $ git gc
15 >>>>>
16 >>>>> ~Henry
17 >>>>>
18 >>>> but that doesn't really shrink the size.
19 >>> That's weird. How big is it getting? (Mine is 4.1 MB)
20 >>>
21 >> 150mb adn it shrinked with git gc --agressive down to 120mb.
22
23 Now that is indeed a bit excessive.
26 >> What I did was pulling other overlays as branch, doing an filterbranch
27 >> and only merging certain thing. perhaps this is something different than
28 >> branching the repo itself.
29 >>
30 > and of course deleted the branches afterwards
33 Hm, I've never used git filter-branch before, but according to the
34 manpage the original branches are still stored in .git/refs/original,
35 so git gc wouldn't remove the objects they reference. Also, there
36 might still be a reference in .git/refs/remotes. (Possibly
37
38 $ git branch -a
39
40 will show all of them to you (definitely the remote ones).)
41
42 Hope that helps.
43
44 ~Henry