From: Brian Kroth <bpkroth@××××.edu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] SAN Clustered Filesystem
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:34:55
1 paul kölle wrote:
2 > Sean Cook schrieb:
3 >>
4 >> GFS is ok if you don't want to mess around with a SAN but it has no where
5 >> near the performance of fiber or iSCSI attached storage.
6 > Aren't those apples and oranges? I thought iSCSI is a block level
7 > protocol and doesn't do locking and such whereas GFS does...
8
9 This is what I was getting at. I know the basics of working with the
10 SAN to get a set of machines to at least see a storage array. The next
11 step is getting them to read and write to say the same file on a
12 filesystem on that storage array without stepping on each others toes or
13 corrupting the filesystem that lives on top of that storage array.
14 That's where I haven't learned too much yet.
15
16 I hadn't actually planned on using the SAN to boot off of, but that
17 might be an option for easier configuration/software management. I
18 simply wanted to use it almost as if it were an NFS mount that a group
19 of servers stored web content on. The problem I had with that model is
20 that the NFS server is a single point of failure. If on the other hand
21 all the servers are directly attached to the data, any one of them can
22 go down and the others won't care or notice. At least that's the
23 working theory behind it right now.
24 --
25 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list