From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] MySQL 4.1
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:47:21
1 On Tuesday 30 November 2004 05:28, Sébastien Arnaud wrote:
2 > Hi to all:
3 >
4 > 1. Does somebody know the reason behind masking an ebuild, instead of
5 > marking it as "unstable" via ~x86 ?
6
7 Ebuilds are masked for a number of reasons. Here's a list of the more common
8 ones:
9
10 a) Known security issue, and no fix available
11 b) The package isn't considered stable (~arch is for packages that are
12 known to work, but the ebuild still needs testing)
13 c) Known major bugs that make the package unusable
14
15 Hmmm ... we should put this somewhere in a FAQ.
16
17 > 2. Why is MySQL 4.1 ebuild still masked and unavailable, when it is
18 > becoming widely available on other linux distro?
19
20 Usually, whenever package X isn't as up to date as it could be, it's because
21 we don't have enough developers looking after the package to keep up with new
22 releases; or the developers who do look after the package are spending their
23 time on other issues.
24
25 Please remember that Gentoo is a *community* project. All the Gentoo
26 developers are volunteers, and the vast majority of our contributions to
27 Gentoo are made during our spare time.
28
29 Best regards,
30 Stu
31 --
32 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
33 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
34 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
35
36 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
37 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C