From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID5 vs. RAID0+1
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 22:58:11
1 Christian Spoo wrote:
2
3 > That's just the point. The server will be used to store bigger files
4 > (lots of digital photos, videos, etc.) and publish them. Concerning
5 > Ronan's last sentence I'd stick to speed and reliability as the most
6 > important points. At least with the load of several users that'll access
7
8 heh. I work for a video and photo sharing site and a good friend of mine
9 works for an HD post production house. His I/O requirements are at least
10 an order of magnitude higher than mine. Publishing vs editing, and it
11 really depends on how one defines these things, are two very different
12 workloads. I tend to have much more random reads than he does and have
13 to partition data and disks to get around that.
14
15 That said in the four disk range RAID 10 in a single box is a pretty
16 good deal. The cost starts to get ugly as your arrays get bigger and
17 start having to pay for the shelf or enclosure.
18
19 1 shelf + (16 - 2 (hot spare & parity)) x 500GB x RAID 5 = 7TB usable
20 1 shelf + (16/2) x 500GB x RAID10 = 4TB usable
21
22 Assuming a total cost of $10k per, 28TB at RAID 5 you'd pay $40k and at
23 RAID10 you'd pay $70k
24
25 In a single box your only have to worry about drive costs.
26
27 (3-1) x 250 = 500 GB
28 (2/1) x 250 = 500 GB
29
30 Assuming drives are $100 then it's the difference of $300 vs $400 which
31 is a much better ratio than the shelf example. At this level going with
32 better performance for that cost difference makes sense.
33
34 This concludes today's lecture in system administration titled
35 "Economics: Bane of Performance" :-)
36
37 kashani
38 --