From: Christian Spoo <mail@××××××××××××××.info>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID5 vs. RAID0+1
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 21:58:31
1 First, thanks for all your answers!
2
3 kashani schrieb:
4 > However if you're running a file share that is primarily reads, aka
5 > just about every file share in the world, RAID5 will work just fine and
6 > give you much more space. Assuming you're got a limited budget and
7 > you're doing general file serving I'd err on the side of more space. If
8 > you're running specialized applications like email, video editing,
9 > databases then you may want to look at other things besides RAID5.
10 >
11 > kashani
12
13 That's just the point. The server will be used to store bigger files
14 (lots of digital photos, videos, etc.) and publish them. Concerning
15 Ronan's last sentence I'd stick to speed and reliability as the most
16 important points. At least with the load of several users that'll access
17 the files at the same time RAID5 would probably be not enough. Another
18 point is rebuild time in which RAID10 would beat RAID5.
19
20 I will give RAID10 a try. That means a configuration of 4 250GB disks
21 with a total of 500GB space which fits comfortably our needs. Later I
22 will describe my experiences.

mail.vcf text/x-vcard