From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID5 vs. RAID0+1
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 19:28:19
1 Jesse, Rich wrote:
2 > http://www.baarf.com
3 >
4 > Pay special attention to the whitepaper "Is RAID 5 Really a Bargain?" by
5 > Cary Millsap, also on the site.
6 >
7 > It's a slow crusade, but gaining strength. And it's about time I
8 > joined, too.
9
10 baarf assumes you're doing db work in which case they are absolutely
11 correct. I did a recent transition from five drives in a RAID5 to six
12 drives in RAID10 on our Mysql servers and the change was well worth it.
13 Roughly 30% increase in simple writes like an scp from one db to the
14 other. We rolled a number of other changes into the db so it's hard to
15 tell what was disk and what was proper tuning in Mysql at this point.
16
17 However if you're running a file share that is primarily reads, aka
18 just about every file share in the world, RAID5 will work just fine and
19 give you much more space. Assuming you're got a limited budget and
20 you're doing general file serving I'd err on the side of more space. If
21 you're running specialized applications like email, video editing,
22 databases then you may want to look at other things besides RAID5.
23
24 kashani
25 --
26 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list