From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] requirements for a more stable portage tree
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 00:40:51
1 All --
2
3 In relation to GLEP 19[1], I'd like to take a step back and ensure we've
4 got all the requirements defined for this particular project.
5
6 Leaving behind the implementation details and focusing instead on pure
7 requirements, I'd like to gather input from the group. So far, we have:
8
9 * A frozen tree, with pre-defined update intervals. (this tree may be part
10 existing tree or a separate tree -- that's an implementation detail to be
11 covered later)
12 * All ebuilds in this 'frozen tree' are guaranteed to be available for a
13 certain period of time so admins can plan their upgrades more accurately.
14
15 And...what else?
16
17 Now, to try and contain this somewhat, please keep things on topic. i.e.
18 let's not take this down the "portage should have a database back-end" or
19 "please create an ebuild for OpenGroupware! kthx."
20
21 The general guideline we're trying to follow is improving the
22 functionality of the portage tree to make things like updating/emerging
23 easier for enterprise environments.
24
25 Also, please don't discuss implementation details. That comes later.
26 Things like "it should be a separate tree" or "we should have keywords!!"
27 are not part of this particular discussion.
28
29 So, with that in mind, have at it. :)
30
31 --kurt
34 [1]http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0019.html