From: Robert Sanders <rob-lists@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Load Balanced Web Host?
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 16:38:43
1 On Thursday 08 April 2004 12:05 pm, Tony VanScoy wrote:
2 > I just embarked on the ability to distribute compilation over a network
3 > of machines using distcc. I've always known about this capability but I
4 > didn't think I'd have the hardware/software/money to do something like
5 > that. distcc to the rescue.
6 >
7 > The reason I covered that is because I share the same interest in load
8 > balancing some of my web servers as I do distributed compilation. But
9 > can load balancing web servers be as simple as distcc? I don't think
10 > so. I mean quite a bit more would have to go into somthing like this
11 > right? Can anyone give me some pointers??
14 It could be as simple as using a round robin DNS entry. While considered a
15 poor mans load balance, it has worked quite well for me in the past. I've
16 banaced two web servers, and they both run about 80Mbps at its peak. You
17 could double entry one host, and send it traffic twice as often (in theory)
18 to account for different types of machines. It doesnt take load into
19 consideration, and it not the best way to balance, but it works.
20
21 Also, you could use hardware to do it. You would have an external IP, then
22 create a nat enviroment for the servers. OpenBSD kernel
23 http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/pools.html
24 is good at this, and provides a _very_ good enviroment. You can do the same
25 in linux, its all your taste. I prefer OpenBSD for dedicated network
26 applications, but I don't use it for anything that is not directly
27 intergrated (i.e web servers themselves).
28
29 Cisco has some nice hardware balancers, and there are a few projects in linux
30 to do HA clustering. I'll toss these 2 cents in the pool, and let others add
31 ;)
32
33 Rob