From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] report 8.8: improving OpenRC
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 09:06:06
1 On 08/09/2012 01:24 AM, heroxbd@×××××.com wrote:
2 > Dear Guys and Gals,
3 >
4 > Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> writes:
5 >
6 >> On 8/7/12 6:53 AM, heroxbd@×××××.com wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> After the mid term evaluation, this project shifts its emphasis from
9 >>>> Prefix support to improving OpenRC (borrowing ideas from brother
10 >>>> systems)
11 >>>>
12 >
13 >>> The process is documented at http://wiki.debian.org/OpenRC
14 >
15 > This wiki page is finished, and passed a first round of critisism
16 > from #debian-devel. We are expecting it more ;)
17 >
18 >>>> 3. Patch OpenRC build system to respect EPREFIX (yes, take this by myself)
19 >>>
20 >>> I reviewed my old patch at bug 415899, and it seems to be able to
21 >>> serve as a base for the prefix integration.
22 >
23 > If this will not be included in a timely manner (OpenRC herd is loaded
24 > with tons of bugs), I'll continue improve on my overlay.
25 >
26 >>> bonus:
27 >>>
28 >>> ccxCZ from #openrc made a GLEP draft
29 >>>
30 >>> http://wpr.cz/ccx/wobsite/article/openrc-supervisor.html
31 >>> The interesting point to me is to make openrc running closely
32 >>> with daemontools and runit for extended features.
33 >>> In this project proposal, modern extensions (a timer, a oom-killer, a
34 >>> daemon watcher) were discussed. To make openrc friendly talk to other
35 >>> tools (cron, incron, runit, etc.) to achieve these extensions are
36 >>> closest to my heart.
37 >>
38 >> =) I'm looking forward to see some of those implemented.
39 >
40 > runit and deamontools and foreground things look really cool.
41 >
42 > bonus things finished on 8.8:
43 >
44 > tested out runit: it is a good piece of work. I began to doubt why
45 > systemd would reinvent the wheel for a "built-in" supervisor.
46
47 keeping all the eggs in a single basket is a problem IMHO.
48
49 > Plans for 8.9
50 >
51 > 1. foreground some process (ssh, tinc, nginx and squid) and train openrc to
52 > run them by runit.
53
54 Sounds good
55
56 > 2. Begin to package OpenRC with debian new maintainer's guide.
57
58 I hope that will make more people happy, we definitely want more audience
59
60 > 3. portage-prefix, follow the discussion result with grobian and
61 > lu_zero: implement a mechanism to export EPREFIX from within runscript.sh
62
63 Good!
64
65 Looking forward to see the results =)
66
67 lu