From: heroxbd@×××××.com
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] report 8.8: improving OpenRC
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 00:05:34
1 Dear Guys and Gals,
2
3 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> writes:
4
5 > On 8/7/12 6:53 AM, heroxbd@×××××.com wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> After the mid term evaluation, this project shifts its emphasis from
8 >>> Prefix support to improving OpenRC (borrowing ideas from brother
9 >>> systems)
10 >>>
11
12 >> The process is documented at http://wiki.debian.org/OpenRC
13
14 This wiki page is finished, and passed a first round of critisism
15 from #debian-devel. We are expecting it more ;)
16
17 >>> 3. Patch OpenRC build system to respect EPREFIX (yes, take this by myself)
18 >>
19 >> I reviewed my old patch at bug 415899, and it seems to be able to
20 >> serve as a base for the prefix integration.
21
22 If this will not be included in a timely manner (OpenRC herd is loaded
23 with tons of bugs), I'll continue improve on my overlay.
24
25 >> bonus:
26 >>
27 >> ccxCZ from #openrc made a GLEP draft
28 >>
29 >> http://wpr.cz/ccx/wobsite/article/openrc-supervisor.html
30 >> The interesting point to me is to make openrc running closely
31 >> with daemontools and runit for extended features.
32 >> In this project proposal, modern extensions (a timer, a oom-killer, a
33 >> daemon watcher) were discussed. To make openrc friendly talk to other
34 >> tools (cron, incron, runit, etc.) to achieve these extensions are
35 >> closest to my heart.
36 >
37 > =) I'm looking forward to see some of those implemented.
38
39 runit and deamontools and foreground things look really cool.
40
41 bonus things finished on 8.8:
42
43 tested out runit: it is a good piece of work. I began to doubt why
44 systemd would reinvent the wheel for a "built-in" supervisor.
45
46 Plans for 8.9
47
48 1. foreground some process (ssh, tinc, nginx and squid) and train openrc to
49 run them by runit.
50 2. Begin to package OpenRC with debian new maintainer's guide.
51 3. portage-prefix, follow the discussion result with grobian and
52 lu_zero: implement a mechanism to export EPREFIX from within runscript.sh
53 --
54 XU Benda
55 Research Center for Neutrino Science
56 Tohoku University