From: Eitan Mosenkis <eitan@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo SoC <gentoo-soc@l.g.o>, Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-soc] [GSoC status] Web-based image builder
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 20:55:45
1 This is my first weekly status report, so I'll introduce my project a
2 little. I'm building a web-based application in PHP (with MySQL) that
3 will allow the user to build a customized image of a linux
4 installation. The intent is to support various different
5 architectures/profiles, using the binary packages currently found on
6 tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org. Users should be able to produce tarballs
7 or, I hope, ISO images, etc.
8
9 Also, I'd like to note before I get down to the status part, that if
10 anyone would like to volunteer to do some web or graphic design for
11 the project, whoever ends up using it (or their eyes) will probably
12 thank you. I'm a much better web programmer than designer.
13
14 As of now, I've made local copies of three different package sets to
15 work with, default-linux/amd64, hardened/x86, and embedded/beagle.
16 I'm working with solar to get some more packages added to tinderbox so
17 I can test things more completely, but as of now my backend can
18 generate a complete target environment for any of the above profiles
19 and attempt to emerge system (the only one where enough binpkgs are
20 available to actually complete this is the amd64). The backend polls
21 the database for requested builds and builds them as requested,
22 sending detailed logs back to the database.
23
24 The frontend is coming along nicely, currently featuring user login,
25 build request (as of now just choosing a name and selecting the
26 profile), and log viewer.
27
28 All comments, questions, suggestions, etc. are welcome.