From: "Stanislav Ochotnický" <sochotnicky@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Tree-wide collision checking and provided files database
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 18:47:51
1 2009/3/28 Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@×××××.com>:
2 > 2009/3/28 Stanislav Ochotnický <sochotnicky@×××××.com>:
3 >> Let the brainstorm begin...
4 >
5 > I'm sitting here wondering, why I'd want this. what problem does it solve?
6
7 You mean the whole general idea I guess.
8
9 I can't speak for Gentoo QA people, but I suppose they would be most
10 qualified to answer.
11
12 Anyway...If nothing else I'd love to see "this package will take XXX
13 MB of space after installation" BEFORE I actually emerge the damn
14 thing. With binary packages that's obvious. Source distributions are
15 harder of course, because of CFLAGS, compiler, optimizations etc.. But
16 basic approximation of size would be nice.
17
18 One more thing though. With tree-wide collision checking we would be
19 able to semi-automatically add blocking info into ebuilds for
20 colliding packages. Now it's up to people to find out "Oh. These two
21 packages are colliding". Mainstream packages are of course handled,
22 because lot of people are using them. But more obscure packages could
23 be problematic. This project would help fix this situation.
24
25 Stanislav Ochotnicky