From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Tree-wide collision checking and provided files database
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 20:03:28
1 On 28-03-2009 19:47:48 +0100, Stanislav Ochotnický wrote:
2 > 2009/3/28 Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@×××××.com>:
3 > > 2009/3/28 Stanislav Ochotnický <sochotnicky@×××××.com>:
4 > >> Let the brainstorm begin...
5 > >
6 > > I'm sitting here wondering, why I'd want this. what problem does it solve?
7 >
8 > You mean the whole general idea I guess.
9
10 > Anyway...If nothing else I'd love to see "this package will take XXX
11 > MB of space after installation" BEFORE I actually emerge the damn
12 > thing. With binary packages that's obvious. Source distributions are
13 > harder of course, because of CFLAGS, compiler, optimizations etc.. But
14 > basic approximation of size would be nice.
15
16 Also, I more than once have found myself in a situation where I wondered
17 where certain file X would come from. In such case it would be nice to
18 be able to put a query somewhere and see what package it belongs to.
19 Note that this is not `qfile X`, because it's not on my system, but more
20 something like, ok, I do have texlive, but I want package Y, which on
21 Debian apparently is called P, and provides the essential file X, what
22 is the corresponding package in Gentoo?
23 There are more examples here of why this is a nice to have.
24
25 > One more thing though. With tree-wide collision checking we would be
26 > able to semi-automatically add blocking info into ebuilds for
27 > colliding packages. Now it's up to people to find out "Oh. These two
28 > packages are colliding". Mainstream packages are of course handled,
29 > because lot of people are using them. But more obscure packages could
30 > be problematic. This project would help fix this situation.
31
32 Or perhaps still do it "runtime", but just before you went through the
33 hassle compiling the entire thing, by downloading the list of files, and
34 checking if they would collide. Would nicely work together with how
35 much space it would require anyway, since you might have different
36 mountpoints and would like to know what will be placed where.
40 Fabian Groffen
41 Gentoo on a different level