From: Sid S <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 08:20:35
1 >We didn't disband the team because we thought that having a
2 >team focused on games wasn't a bad idea, but so far nobody else seems
3 >all that interested so it seems as likely as not that there won't be a
4 >games team in the future.
5
6 Probably a chicken-and-egg thing. I want to play games on my Gentoo, or a
7 vm hosted by Gentoo, but doing so can be a pain. Is there any reason to
8 cater to this demographic specifically? Well, no, but making it less hard
9 would require solving some nontrivial problems others might benefit from.
10 Which is the purpose of Gentoo, right?
11
12 As for Java, I've not encountered any major bugs. This might be why nobody
13 is talking about Java bugs. If there are any bugs with the introduction of
14 Java 1.8, again, there's no reason to cater to the demographic that wants
15 Java 8, but it will likely solve hard problems. Java is something I should
16 be able to use by accident. It is almost entirely self-contained.
17
18 Solving these hard problems is likely to help in other areas. For example,
19 let me refer to another portion of the conversation below:
20
21 >The current Gentoo way is far more limiting, but by having a single
22 >version of glibc with a single policy around versioning/etc packages
23 >don't have to micromanage what they depend on.
24
25 I actually think this is wrong. The Gentoo way might be limiting in some
26 respects, but the reality seems to be it is limited by the software it is
27 working with more than the other way around.
28
29 So... what's a better way to do things? NI,SF. Do-autocracy suffers from
30 the challenging problem of challenging problems being avoided.
31
32 >On top of that, this would have to be an issue that has to be handled by
33 >the software devs.
34
35 If only the universe were ebuilds and not turtles.
36
37 >Today, ebuilds don't even let a chance for an admin to apply a series of
38 >patches to the vanilla/distro-maintainer sources without having to
39 >rewrite/fork the ebuild.
40
41 There isn't a way to specify ebuild properties in a way like command line
42 arguments? Where you can explicitly silence options by specifying them
43 later, etc?
44