From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Virtualbox-5.0.0 [wow!]
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 00:59:08
1 On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 19:43:05 -0400
2 Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 6:53:43 PM walt wrote:
5 > >
6 > > I fired up my vbox gentoo guest machine and, of course, I tried to
7 > > install the 5.0.0 guest additions kernel modules.
8 > >
9 > > I got an error message about usb support in the guest kernel, so I
10 > > disabled guest usb support (temporarily) with the vbox gui, tried
11 > > again and the guest kernel modules installed with amazing speed.
12 > >
13 > > I'd like to know if anyone else is seeing spectacular speed
14 > > performance with vbox-5.0.0.
18 > No noticeable performance improvement for me using hardware
19 > virtualization.
20 >
21 > The USB issue is because it no longer pulls the extension pack or
22 > additions packages as a dependency so you need to add them to your
23 > world file.
24
25 Thanks, I will.
26
27 A comment on nerd humor: while using vbox-5.0.0 my eye was drawn to a
28 little black spot in the vbox main window, and I wondered if it was a
29 dirt speck on my monitor screen.
30
31 I put on my reading glasses to take a closer look. It turned out to be
32 a new icon for the "Clone selected virtual machine" button in the form
33 of a black-faced sheep.
34
35 I conclude that this must be a sly reference to Dolly the Sheep, the
36 first 'higher' animal to be cloned successfully, except that Dolly
37 didn't have a black face, according to this:
38
39 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_(sheep)