From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I reset mount-count?
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 21:18:18
1 Jarry wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I use one drive just for backup, co I mount/unmount it only when
4 > I need it (quite frequently). Since some time I started getting
5 > these messages in /var/log/kernel.log:
6 >
7 > kernel: kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
8 > kernel: EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck
9 > is recommended
10 > kernel: EXT3 FS on sda1, internal journal
11 > kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
12 >
13 > So I unmounted /dev/sda1 and checked partition as recommended:
14 > e2fsck -f /dev/sda1
15 >
16 > All tests passed, no errors reported, output seems normal.
17 > But when I mount it, I get the above mentioned message again.
18 > Apparently, mount-counter has not been reset. So how can I
19 > reset it?
20 >
21 > I think, that message indicate that fsck will check that
22 > partition while doing next backup. I would like to avoid
23 > it, as it is rather large partition (2TB) with a lot of
24 > files, and fsck takes quite long time...
25 >
26 > Jarry
30 Check out tune2fs's man page. I think one of the options there will
31 help you. Also, you can use dumpe2fs to see the count. That is also
32 shown with the tune2fs command tho.
33
34 One more thing, if you just want it to print certain info, grep would be
35 your friend. ;-) It spits out a lot here.
36
37 I also googled a bit and it does appear that the booting check resets
38 the counter. At least that was what one poster said. May not be the
39 case now but thought I would mention it.
40
41 Hope that helps.
42
43 Dale