From: Colin Morey <peitolm@g.o>
To: mirror-maintainer@×××××××××××××.net
Cc: admin@g.o, st_lim@×××××.net
Subject: Re: [Gentoo-admin] Re: Removal of requested.
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 06:54:00
On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 12:38, mirror-maintainer@×××××××××××××.net wrote:
> On 2 Oct 2002, Colin Morey wrote: > > > Hiyas, > > Someone calling themselves "st_lim@×××××.net (Lim Swee Tat)" posted a > > bug on the gentoo bugzilla system (Bug#:8601) asking for the above rsync > > mirror to be removed. Is this a valid request for removal, or can we > > ignore it? > > If it is a valid request, then could you kindly reply and maintain the > > CC: of the admin@g.o email address. > > Thanks for your support for the Gentoo Linux community > > Hiya. > > I think what Swee Tat means is that the file > "" should be removed from my > mirror. >
ah hah,
> Background: I touch a file by that name within the destination area when I > start a mirror run for all sites that I mirror, in order that users have > some way of telling that the current state of my mirror may not entirely > be in a consistent and correct state. The file is removed when the > scheduled mirror job is finished. >
*nods* I understand
> As I don't personally use gentoo, I haven't been aware whether adding this > file would cause problems to gentoo users. Since this file causes > problems, I'll amend my mirror script so that it doesn't create this file. >
Due to the way the the rsync system works, any user that syncs with your mirror whilst your mirror is syncing with the main server will down load this file, obviously this is only a very small file, but it could cause our usership some concern. If you could do without the file, please do, it will make life a little easier all round.
> If my understanding isn't correct, please do tell me what the problem is, > and what I should do to fix it. > > Thanks for the feedback. > > Pui Yong >
I believe you've explained it perfectly adequately, i'll try and get back to the poster of the bug asking for more details though. Thanks for your help with this, Colin Morey, AkA Peitolm@g.o

Subject Author
Re: [Gentoo-admin] Re: Removal of requested. mirror-maintainer@×××××××××××××.net