From: Elias Pipping <pipping@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] emerge coreutils warning about su not being available
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 06:19:54
1 On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 10:11:35AM +1000, Peter Ansell wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I am testing out the prefix overlay on OS X Leopard and I came across
5 > a warning when emerging coreutils, not sure whether it matters.
6 >
7 > rm: /Users/peter/Library/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/coreutils-6.9-r1/image/Users/peter/Library/Gentoo//usr/bin/su:
8 > No such file or directory
9 >
10 > Potentially it could have installed something to $EPREFIX/usr/bin that
11 > it didn't want to, but I am not sure what it was. The error about su
12 > not being a valid command is the worrying bit I guess.
13 >
14 > So far so good, except for python failing, the rest have worked well.
15 > Why is the prefix still using python-2.4 btw. The system default 2.5
16 > seems to be reasonable for this, and my PC Pentium 4 ~x86
17 > installation.
18
19 You should have seen the message 'leopard is not yet supported' or
20 something like that when bootstrapping ;)
21
22 Gentoo/Alt has only been working on Leopard for a couple of days and the
23 docs aren't up-to-date yet. Naturally, one doesn't have to bootstrap
24 python 2.4 on leopard. One wouldn't have to bootstrap python 2.5 either
25 -- let's see what happens once 2.6 or 3.0 is out ;)
26
27 As for su -- i suppose it wasn't even built because you're not root (or
28 not logged in as root) -- removing it is therefore not necessary, but
29 trying doesn't hurt. Not removing it when it was built would hurt ;)
32 -- Elias
33
34 PS: as you can see in /usr/portage/dev-lang/python, 2.4 is no longer
35 being used anywhere but in bootstrapping