From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] prefix repo_name gentoo_prefix vs. gentoo
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 08:36:30
1 On 29-08-2016 14:39:18 +0200, Michael Weiser wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 05:35:34PM +0200, Michael Weiser wrote:
5 >
6 > > for years I've sporadically seen messages such as
7 >
8 > > !!! Section 'gentoo' in repos.conf has name different from repository name 'gentoo_prefix' set inside repository
9 >
10 > I'd like to warm this up because I'm still manually patching the
11 > repository name after each sync. Does anyone actually remember if and
12 > why that differing name "gentoo_prefix" is actually necessary? Otherwise
13 > I'd propose changing it to "gentoo" and be done with it. See below for
14 > rationale why IMO it's broken currently.
15
16 Well, the thing is, that the gentoo_prefix repo is different from the
17 gentoo repo. So giving it the same name is conceptually wrong,
18 confusing and also annoying if you happen to use both at the same time
19 for it utterly confuses the package manager.
20
21 This problem needs a fix somehow though, but sine our portage is long
22 behind mainline, it warrants updating and fixing it first before looking
23 into fixing this problem IMO.
24
25 Fabian
28 Fabian Groffen