From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] alt-prefix newbie question...
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 04:48:53
1 velociraptor wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Peter Ansell <ansell.peter@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> 2010/1/6 Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>:
4 >>> velociraptor wrote:
5 >>>> I was wondering, please, if the more experienced of you had any
6 >>>> suggestions for ebuild guides that were more oriented towards
7 >>>> alt-prefix users? Everything I've looked at thus far is very much
8 >>>> oriented towards having a complete Gentoo system. Barring that,
9 >>>> perhaps something a little more "step-by-step" tutorials, rather than
10 >>>> theoretically oriented?
11 >>>>
12 >>>> I would like to create my own ebuild for Netatalk as I know this
13 >>>> compiles fine on Solaris, and all the dependencies are currently
14 >>>> available the Solaris alt-prefix portage tree.
15 >>>>
16 >>>> Thanks in advance--
17 >>>> =Nadine=
18 >>>>
19 >>> Gentoo Prefix ebuilds are the same as Gentoo Linux except for the changes
20 >>> outlined in our techdocs[1]. It might be easier for people to answer if you
21 >>> had a specific questions.
22 >> I think it was a specific question. What steps do you use to create a
23 >> prefix ebuild. That document is hard to understand in my opinion and I
24 >> know what the prefix is supposed to do. It is definitely not a simple
25 >> step by step guide for someone wanting to create an ebuild themselves
26 >> as it is designed as a technical description to define the exact
27 >> semantics of "EPREFIX" and related variables in different situations.
28 >> It would do well to have some example ebuilds embedded into the
29 >> document that utilise each of the variables.
30
31 Yea, I'm not trying to be elitist or anything, but the changes needed
32 for Gentoo Prefix ebuilds really require the understanding of Gentoo
33 Linux ebuilds in general. Otherwise you don't know what D->ED really
34 means, etc. Luckily, we provide a script that can do such conversions.
35 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/ecopy.xml
38 > Thanks, Peter, that sums it up nicely. Any step-by-step recipe type
39 > instance would be helpful, as I haven't been able to find something
40 > like that for Gentoo, either. Don't get me wrong, Gentoo
41
42 Start here: http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/index.html
43
44 > documentation excels in many ways beyond that of other Linux versions,
45 > but in the area of ebuilds, the documentation seems very much focussed
46 > on people with more development oriented skill sets. I'm no
47 > developer, but I have been coaxing OSS to run on Solaris for a long
48 > while.
49
50 Then convert it to Gentoo Prefix. So, a basic example based on netatalk:
51
52 - --with-bdb=/usr
53 + --with-bdb=${EPREFIX}/usr
54
55 -rm -rf "${D}/etc/pam.d"
56 +rm -rf "${ED}/etc/pam.d"
57
58 -mv "${D}"/usr/include/netatalk{,2}
59 +mv "${ED}"/usr/include/netatalk{,2}
60
61 -rm "${D}"/usr/bin/timeout "${D}"/usr/share/man/man1/timeout.1 || die
62 +rm "${ED}"/usr/bin/timeout "${ED}"/usr/share/man/man1/timeout.1 || die
63
64 And, from a my quick glance now, that should be it. (besides adding your
65 arch keyword)
66
67 Hope that clears some waters. Really the best documentation is examples,
68 there are 2500+ examples in the prefix tree. :)
69 -Jeremy
70
71 > Maybe I should start by standing up a Gentoo VM and taking a look at
72 > the Linux ebuild of netatalk as a jumping off point.
73 >
74 > Best regards--
75 > =Nadine=