From: velociraptor <velociraptor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] alt-prefix newbie question...
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 15:22:49
1 On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 8:48 PM, Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o> wrote:
2 > velociraptor wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Peter Ansell <ansell.peter@×××××.com>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> 2010/1/6 Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>:
8 >>>>
9 >>>> velociraptor wrote:
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> I was wondering, please, if the more experienced of you had any
12 >>>>> suggestions for ebuild guides that were more oriented towards
13 >>>>> alt-prefix users? Everything I've looked at thus far is very much
14 >>>>> oriented towards having a complete Gentoo system. Barring that,
15 >>>>> perhaps something a little more "step-by-step" tutorials, rather than
16 >>>>> theoretically oriented?
17 >>>>>
18 >>>>> I would like to create my own ebuild for Netatalk as I know this
19 >>>>> compiles fine on Solaris, and all the dependencies are currently
20 >>>>> available the Solaris alt-prefix portage tree.
21 >>>>>
22 >>>>> Thanks in advance--
23 >>>>> =Nadine=
24 >>>>>
25 >>>> Gentoo Prefix ebuilds are the same as Gentoo Linux except for the
26 >>>> changes
27 >>>> outlined in our techdocs[1]. It might be easier for people to answer if
28 >>>> you had a specific questions.
29 >>>
30 >>> I think it was a specific question. What steps do you use to create a
31 >>> prefix ebuild. That document is hard to understand in my opinion and I
32 >>> know what the prefix is supposed to do. It is definitely not a simple
33 >>> step by step guide for someone wanting to create an ebuild themselves
34 >>> as it is designed as a technical description to define the exact
35 >>> semantics of "EPREFIX" and related variables in different situations.
36 >>> It would do well to have some example ebuilds embedded into the
37 >>> document that utilise each of the variables.
38 >
39 > Yea, I'm not trying to be elitist or anything, but the changes needed for
40 > Gentoo Prefix ebuilds really require the understanding of Gentoo Linux
41 > ebuilds in general. Otherwise you don't know what D->ED really means, etc.
42 > Luckily, we provide a script that can do such conversions.
43 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/ecopy.xml
46 >> Thanks, Peter, that sums it up nicely. Any step-by-step recipe type
47 >> instance would be helpful, as I haven't been able to find something
48 >> like that for Gentoo, either. Don't get me wrong, Gentoo
49 >
50 > Start here: http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/index.html
51 >
52 >> documentation excels in many ways beyond that of other Linux versions,
53 >> but in the area of ebuilds, the documentation seems very much focussed
54 >> on people with more development oriented skill sets. I'm no
55 >> developer, but I have been coaxing OSS to run on Solaris for a long
56 >> while.
57 >
58 > Then convert it to Gentoo Prefix. So, a basic example based on netatalk:
59 >
60 > - --with-bdb=/usr
61 > + --with-bdb=${EPREFIX}/usr
62 >
63 > -rm -rf "${D}/etc/pam.d"
64 > +rm -rf "${ED}/etc/pam.d"
65 >
66 > -mv "${D}"/usr/include/netatalk{,2}
67 > +mv "${ED}"/usr/include/netatalk{,2}
68 >
69 > -rm "${D}"/usr/bin/timeout "${D}"/usr/share/man/man1/timeout.1 || die
70 > +rm "${ED}"/usr/bin/timeout "${ED}"/usr/share/man/man1/timeout.1 || die
71 >
72 > And, from a my quick glance now, that should be it. (besides adding your
73 > arch keyword)
74 >
75 > Hope that clears some waters. Really the best documentation is examples,
76 > there are 2500+ examples in the prefix tree. :)
77
78 Thanks for taking the time to respond Jeremy. I'll have a dig around
79 again in the ebuild writing section, look at the script and the
80 ebuilds themselves and come back with any specific questions I have.
81 I'll take a snapshot before I start mucking about so I can roll back
82 easily should get myself into a complete mess.
83
84 =Nadine=