From: velociraptor <velociraptor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] alt-prefix newbie question...
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 04:35:16
1 On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Peter Ansell <ansell.peter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > 2010/1/6 Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>:
3 >> velociraptor wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> I was wondering, please, if the more experienced of you had any
6 >>> suggestions for ebuild guides that were more oriented towards
7 >>> alt-prefix users? Everything I've looked at thus far is very much
8 >>> oriented towards having a complete Gentoo system. Barring that,
9 >>> perhaps something a little more "step-by-step" tutorials, rather than
10 >>> theoretically oriented?
11 >>>
12 >>> I would like to create my own ebuild for Netatalk as I know this
13 >>> compiles fine on Solaris, and all the dependencies are currently
14 >>> available the Solaris alt-prefix portage tree.
15 >>>
16 >>> Thanks in advance--
17 >>> =Nadine=
18 >>>
19 >>
20 >> Gentoo Prefix ebuilds are the same as Gentoo Linux except for the changes
21 >> outlined in our techdocs[1]. It might be easier for people to answer if you
22 >> had a specific questions.
23 >
24 > I think it was a specific question. What steps do you use to create a
25 > prefix ebuild. That document is hard to understand in my opinion and I
26 > know what the prefix is supposed to do. It is definitely not a simple
27 > step by step guide for someone wanting to create an ebuild themselves
28 > as it is designed as a technical description to define the exact
29 > semantics of "EPREFIX" and related variables in different situations.
30 > It would do well to have some example ebuilds embedded into the
31 > document that utilise each of the variables.
32
33 Thanks, Peter, that sums it up nicely. Any step-by-step recipe type
34 instance would be helpful, as I haven't been able to find something
35 like that for Gentoo, either. Don't get me wrong, Gentoo
36 documentation excels in many ways beyond that of other Linux versions,
37 but in the area of ebuilds, the documentation seems very much focussed
38 on people with more development oriented skill sets. I'm no
39 developer, but I have been coaxing OSS to run on Solaris for a long
40 while.
41
42 Maybe I should start by standing up a Gentoo VM and taking a look at
43 the Linux ebuild of netatalk as a jumping off point.
44
45 Best regards--
46 =Nadine=