From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] prefix keywords need to go (?)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 05:31:56

(Time for some more growing pains. It is my opinion that prefix keywords
are one of the last major blockers left in our effort to merge back to
gentoo-x86. Inspired by chatting with solar in irc)

The current situation is when a package is imported, it automatically
gets a few keywords that gentoo-x86 has. The dev that imports it, tests
that it compiles and leaves the 'automatic' keywords. Version bumps
happen automatically and the keywords are carried forward without
testing. If there is an issue we react to it. Besides the initial
importing (which may have happened years ago) we don't do any proactive

So, since we are already in a hugely reactive mode..why don't we just
get rid of prefix keywords completely? It gets hairy if the arch most
always needs patches (FreeMiNT/IRIX comes to mind). However, this is one
reason that we ask for everyone's help in submitting patches upstream.

Before anyone says "but, that will be much more likely to break my
prefix" - I refute that because we are already running on this policy
with regards to the automatic bumps. For the most part, it is smooth.
Major packages are masked if someone hasn't tested them yet (eg. gcc & bash)

Any other thoughts?

[1]: I do weekly emerge -e world but that clearly will not test all
packages on all arches. Just the @system+$random set on one arch.