From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] OS X 10.4 PPC
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 16:03:19
1 On 31-01-2015 16:07:41 +0100, Michael Weiser wrote:
2 > So my guess is that when prefix was working on 10.4 PPC, much more stuff
3 > was used from the system directly, such as crt1.o. Perhaps even
4 > gcc-4.0.1 was still in use.
5
6 My iMac G5 died 2 years ago, and I ran 10.4 on it back then. Never
7 upgraded it to anything newer. We didn't use csu for a long time, until
8 I understood why Kito had added the package. I remember updating CSU a
9 couple of times, so the latest version very well may not be compatible
10 with PPC/10.4. We could/should mask it.
11
12 > Is someone currently actually using prefix on OS X 10.4 PPC and can help
13 > me out?
14
15 Unfortunately not that I know, but I can try the best I can. I used to
16 have access to 10.5/PPC, but that no longer is the case either,
17 unfortunately.
18
19 > Rationale: 10.4 is the ultimate benchmark for self-containedness of
20 > prefix because loads of stuff the tools in the prefix need just don't
21 > exist in the system yet. It got me on to clang always using the system's
22 > libstdc++ for example because that produces warnings because of a
23 > mismatching libgcc_s from the prefix.
24
25 I'd be nice if you have the time to try, because I remember it took ages
26 to compile gcc-apple... :(
29 Fabian Groffen
30 Gentoo on a different level