From: Ruud Koolen <redlizard@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Names of Prefix variants
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 04:28:38
1 Okay, this thread has been going nowhere for too long, and it's blocking
2 progress. It's time to make a decision and be done with it.
3
4 I hereby christen the two variants of gentoo prefix "prefix guest" for the
5 variant that has nongentoo include and library search paths and a nongentoo
6 dynamic linker; and "prefix standalone" for which the dynamic linker and all
7 search paths are strictly inside the prefix installation.
8
9 I will introduce a single new USE flag, masked in nonprefix profiles and
10 forced in prefix guest profiles, "prefix-guest"; this USE flag with codify
11 exactly the two properties specified above. I have decided not to use a
12 second USE flag for the alternative after all; a look through the tree has
13 shown that this would be useful at exactly one place (toolchain.eclass) and
14 nowhere else, and at that point it's just a waste of complexity.
15
16 I will not use a USE_EXPAND variable, because there isn't really a (relevant)
17 single setting that can take on multiple values across different prefix
18 variants; rather, there is just the single deviation from normal gentoo
19 system setups which may or may not apply to a given prefix variant, so a
20 simple USE flag saying "this 'feature' is in effect" is the appropriate tool
21 for the job.
22
23 I will create profiles default/linux/$arch/13.0/prefix/{guest,standalone}, of
24 which the first is a link to prefix/linux/$arch and the second is the new
25 profile to be written. I will not for now name either the "default" prefix
26 profile on linux archs per the name default/linux/$arch/13.0/prefix, as I
27 think that choice is best delayed until after we have more experience with
28 how well the two variants work in practice; naming one the default is easy,
29 but changing this decision later on is hard without breaking compatibility.
30 Thus, for now default/linux/$arch/13.0/prefix will stay empty.
31
32 I will create a common base for the two variant profiles in features/prefix,
33 with both variant profiles inheriting it. After all, the majority of profile
34 hacks in the current prefix profiles would apply in full force in
35 prefix-standalone.
36
37 Unless there are any complaints, I'm planning to make all this a reality in a
38 few days.
39
40 Thoughts?
41