From: Markus Duft <mduft@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Stating officially with Cygwin
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 05:46:11
1 On 09/30/2010 09:04 PM, Al wrote:
2 >> A small case study:
3 >> ~x86-interix support, "currently broken" quote from the lead dev. Not likely
4 >> to get fixed soon. Causes headaches when trying to migrate packages to
5 >> Gentoo Linux.
6 >
7 > I wonder what is wrong with interix as it is that similar to Cygwin.
8 > There are two points that come into my mind:
9 >
10 > 1.) Why do QA-warnings in misc-functions.sh kill emerges?
11 >
12 [snip]
13
14 on interix, a missing or wrong interpreter is not handled correctly, and
15 thus leads to crashes without appropriate error messages. i'm really
16 glad portage now checks for those ;)
19 > 2.) gen_usr_ldscript() in toolchain-funcs.eclass
20 >
21 [snip]
22
23 interix is more like a real unix than cygwin; it uses symlinks, etc.
24 also, it does _not_ use PATH to search for libraries, but has propper
25 support for rpath, etc.
26
27 additionally the x86-winnt profiles, which i started, use the parity
28 compiler for windows [1], which adds support for rpath, lazy loading,
29 unix like shared library building, libtool support, etc, etc. so even on
30 windows, there is not need for PATH hacks, and such.
31
32 @jeremy: read your previous mail; yes i know, the interix stuff is
33 actually rather unmaintained at the moment. but i plan to change this. i
34 want to get things back to a working state the latest by January next
35 year (i hope i'll succeed ;)). in the meantime - don't pay attention to
36 interix. if patches/keywords disturb you, feel free to remove them -
37 I'll add them back in the version(s) I'll test in the course of
38 "resurrection" :)
39
40 [1] http://www.sf.net/projects/parity
41
42 P.S.: i built cygwin support into parity - would be curious if (after i
43 fixed the portage prefix-chaining patch, which is a prerequisite)
44 x86-winnt profiles would work unmodified on cygwin.
45
46 markus
49 > Al