From: yoshi watanabe <yoshi3@××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64]emerge make my comp slow :(
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 09:13:22
1 On 01:15 Sat 05 Aug , Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > On Friday 04 August 2006 19:23, jai kumar wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > > I am new to Gentoo. I have installed gentoo firstly in may (but was not
5 > > succeded to get my X working ). So that time I gave up gentoo and turned to
6 > > Ubuntu. Yesterday I have successfully installed gentoo Amd64 2006.0 on my
7 > > comp with X working successfully but problem is that whenever when i do a
8 > > "emerge programname" my system get very slow (Even mouse didn't react). I
9 > > am unable to figure out the problem. Waiting for your help.
12 > usually, compiling itself does not make your mouse hang.
13 >
14 > But: if you don't have lots of memory (more than 1gig with AMD64), and you are
15 > emerging with MAKEOPTS="j2", memory becomes a problem.
16 >
17 > If your comp is in a swap-storm, your mouse will hang, that easy. Solution:
18 > MAKEOPTS="-j1"
19 > or
20 > 2gb of ram
21 >
22 > oh, and check that 'umaskirq' is set for your ata devices (ide harddisks.
23 > check with hdparm).
24 > --
25 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
26
27 also, setting PORTAGE_NICENESS in make.conf to something like 3 or 5 *really* helps.
28 i also noticed that my pc becomes a bit sluggish during certain compiles if i don't set it.
29 (defaults to 0). more info on this option in manual for nice command.
32 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list