From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64]emerge make my comp slow :(
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 23:18:11
1 On Friday 04 August 2006 19:23, jai kumar wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I am new to Gentoo. I have installed gentoo firstly in may (but was not
4 > succeded to get my X working ). So that time I gave up gentoo and turned to
5 > Ubuntu. Yesterday I have successfully installed gentoo Amd64 2006.0 on my
6 > comp with X working successfully but problem is that whenever when i do a
7 > "emerge programname" my system get very slow (Even mouse didn't react). I
8 > am unable to figure out the problem. Waiting for your help.
11 usually, compiling itself does not make your mouse hang.
12
13 But: if you don't have lots of memory (more than 1gig with AMD64), and you are
14 emerging with MAKEOPTS="j2", memory becomes a problem.
15
16 If your comp is in a swap-storm, your mouse will hang, that easy. Solution:
17 MAKEOPTS="-j1"
18 or
19 2gb of ram
20
21 oh, and check that 'umaskirq' is set for your ata devices (ide harddisks.
22 check with hdparm).
23 --
24 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list